Natasha G. Kohne is co-leader of Akin Gump’s cybersecurity, privacy and data protection practice and Middle East practice, in which capacity she spends significant amounts of time assisting clients in the U.S., the Middle East and other international markets. She has also spearheaded Akin Gump’s international efforts in relation to data protection and cybersecurity.
Practice & Background
Ms. Kohne’s practice focuses on cybersecurity related topics, including risk assessments and the mitigation and management of cyber intrusions and related privacy and security incident response preparation. She advises on data breach investigations and enforcement, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) cybersecurity compliance, legislative and regulatory requirements and processes, privacy and data protection compliance, as well as related litigation. Ms. Kohne is heavily involved in U.S., international and cross-border litigation, arbitration and investigations across various industries including technology, financial services, investment funds, health care, energy and infrastructure. More generally, she is regularly engaged in disputes, risk management, compliance and corporate advisory work on behalf of public entities, multinational clients, high net worth individuals/family offices and private companies.
Ms. Kohne routinely serves as an international arbitrator and has extensive experience over the years in government and regulatory investigations and in complex commercial disputes before an array of courts and international tribunals in various countries in the Middle East, Europe and North America.
Furthermore, Ms. Kohne has led several reform projects for governments, including in emerging areas such as cybersecurity, privacy and data protection, asset recovery, judicial procedure and construction. She has experience in both civil law and common law jurisdictions.
Ms. Kohne is a Certified Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) with the International Association of Privacy Professionals and a member of the firm’s management committee.
Her experience includes advising on:
- data breach investigations and remediation involving an energy infrastructure company in the GCC
- international criminal and civil proceedings involving cyber intrusions and intellectual property investigations and disputes in Europe, the U.S. and the GCC
- comprehensive M&A due diligence and risk assessments relating to privacy and cybersecurity matters in the U.S. and internationally
- cloud computing and data protection and security regulations in the U.S. and Europe and related laws concerning international data transfer matters
- cross-border investigations involving intellectual property and the internet in China, the GCC and U.S.
- risk management, corporate, dispute and compliance issues relating to a national cybersecurity center in the GCC
- privacy data laws in the healthcare industry in the U.S., Europe and the GCC
- defamation, libel and censorship disputes in the U.S. and Europe
- ICANN intellectual property and domain-name disputes involving the GCC
- investment funds litigation and arbitration, including removing and replacing a General Partner of private equity funds by Limited Partners
- international construction and real estate arbitrations concerning infrastructure projects in the GCC involving billions of dollars
- LCIA, ICC and ICDR arbitrations involving commercial disputes in the hundreds of millions of dollars
- data breach investigations and remediation involving the personal information of high-level officials
- the application of healthcare regulatory advice as it relates to mobile apps in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
Licensed to practice for 15 years in New York and under the supervision of the partners of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP. Application for admission to the California Bar pending.